Background & Ethos
Coláiste Choilm is a Catholic school founded by The Christian Brothers in 1967. It combines a strong emphasis on academic achievement with a caring attitude to all its students. The school follows the Christian Brothers’ philosophy of creating a community of students whose central purpose is the religious, moral, intellectual, physical and social education of the student. This community seeks to create an atmosphere of Christian care and concern in which the student can grow to maturity.
The school is committed to:
- Respecting the dignity of the student with his background, tradition and beliefs, valuing the potential of each and encouraging the strong to support the weak;
- Enabling the student to develop a healthy self-image and to form positive relationships with others;
- Encouraging in the student a sense of creativity and of collaboration with others;
- Promoting the student’s appreciation of his cultural heritage;
- Preparing the student through academic and technical training for his vocational role in life;
- Providing opportunities for the student to experience God in the wonder of creation, in worship and in service of others.
- Developing a critical sense in the student, helping him to challenge the forces that threaten human life;
- Providing a disciplined atmosphere in which the student is encouraged to grow in freedom and to take increasing responsibility for his education and for the life of the school community.
MISSION STATEMENT FOR COLÁISTE CHOILM
The aim of Coláiste Choilm is to provide a holistic education which is driven by a Catholic ethos.
We strive to create a safe environment which fosters inclusion, honesty, dignity and respect.
The school community encourages the individual in their pursuit of excellence.
We aim to promote among students a sense of pride in their school.
The school is managed by a Board of Management which is responsible to the Trustees, The Irish Christian Brothers. The Board consists of four persons nominated by the Trustees, two lay teachers elected by the staff and two parents.
The primary right and obligation to educate young people belongs to their parents. In choosing Coláiste Choilm, parents subscribe to the philosophy of the Christian Brothers’ school.
Parents are encouraged to exercise their right and obligation by:
- giving the school their trust and co-operation;
- ensuring that their children respect, obey and co-operate with their teachers;
- supporting the various activities of school life;
- involving themselves with the School Parents’ Council.
Students are encouraged towards a mature acceptance of responsibility. The class captain system which is currently being developed is aimed at building clear channels of communication between the students and the school authorities.
- Business Studies
- Tech. Graphics
- Agricultural Science
- Construction Studies
- Design & Communication Graphics
- Fully Equipped Science Labs
- Fully Equipped Woodwork Room
- Fully Equipped Computer Room
- Fully Equipped Art Room
- Fully Equipped Technology Room
- Canteen Facilities
- Fully Equipped Sports Hall
- Learning Support Facilities